Monday, July 9, 2007

Friendship Day



Friendship day is all about fun, celebration and to make your friends realize how special they are. But I actually understood the real significance of a friend in life when I was in my High school.

It was during those school days that Natalie and I were neighbours. We were very much different; Natalie was soft spoken, shy and reserved for which others bullied her a lot, whereas I was the total opposite - outspoken, demanding, extrovert and very popular. Obviously I never hanged out with her in the school, but we travelled to and from the school together. It was during this time that I came to know her. There was something special in this girl, that caught my eyes. We gradually started speaking over the phone a lot during which I told her about my secret crush, about which only two other friends were aware of. It was Bradly, our High School Football team captain on whom I harbored this crush.
But he was already going on with Ginnie, a classmate of ours, so I really had fat chances for which I never wanted to let many people know about this. Ironically, the very next day when I told Natalie about Bradly, the whole school too came to know about it. Everyone was bullying me and Bradly gave such a look at me which was so embarassing that it made me burst into tears. Quite naturally my first suspect was Natalie, and I was just waiting for a chance to get a hand on her. Suddennly, I saw her rushing towards me, but before I reached her, Ginnie and her gang got me. Ginnie threw a paper on my face which I recognised to be the love note about Bradly which I wrote the other day and left on my desk by mistake. They insulted me like anything and no friends of mine but Natalie was beside me. Despite being so shy and reserved in nature she gave such a tough fight that even a bigmouth like Ginnie could not utter a single word. I felt so guilty for suspecting Natalie. But from that day we became Best Friends. Even after so many years we still have the same bonding and love for each other.

1 comment:

Raaj Datta said...

Hi Cathrina,

Beautiful things in life come in small packages called surprise. When we expect something and get something else, we get confused about the flow of things. It is then that the beauty begins to unfold.

I will tell you how it happened to me. I was studying at the Post Graduate level. There were fifteen students in our class and believe me, I outsmarted everyone; atleast I thought so. I was a bit introvert by natureand in terms of friendship too, I maintained a comfortable distance. But I was pretty jolly.

In our class, there was this so called, Miss Smartest, who lived in a world of her own. She was very friendly and talkative. I liked her attitude though. She would give suggestions to everybody and ofcourse, that got her into trouble sometimes. Gradually, we became very good friends and I cannot be wrong if I say best friends.

She would often cook recipies for me on how to get the attention of a particular girl, though I was least interested in those recipies. By food habits, she was a non-vegeatrian but she would bring vegetarian tiffin from home just for me, and there was this daily exchange of tiffins. As we stayed close by, we used to return home together by the same bus and used to talk so much.She opened up a totally new world to me.

Once, she had to go to her relatives place in a different city for four days and believe me, those were four long days for me. I really missed her a lot. Perhaps, she missed me too. Few months went by and she was my dearest friend. I knew, our studies would get over sooner or later and I would really miss this friend of mine, very dearly. I knew I had to do something to stop her from drifting away just like that.

That evening too, nothing was unusual, we boarded the same bus and returned home. But while returning home, just after we got down from the bus, I asked her, “why do we need to part when there’s such a beautiful friendship? Don't we share the same soul?” She smiled with a tinge of confusion. I knew what I could expect.

My friend became my soulmate and the friendship just grew strong. I couldn't have asked for anything else in life.

Friendship is just like the hardner that we add to glue to make it stronger, why don’t we add friendship to our relations to make it just as strong?